Monday, November 20, 2006

Seeing Stars

Went to play football last night as part of Matt's 5-a-side team. £4 each for a game of football for an hour on AstroTurf! What is the world coming to? When I was at school, I used to think that £1 to play football at Goals was a rip-off. Look how far we've come.
Having done a fair amount of walking this summer, climbing hills, carrying fairly heavy packs, I thought my fitness would be able to handle it. How wrong was I, I was out of breath before we even kicked off. I knew the first few moments of over enthusiasm would come back to haunt me and after about 5 minutes I was gasping for breath, light headed and seeing stars. My turn in goals I thought to myself but really didn't know if I could make it across the pitch without collapsing. The dizziness and uncontrollable shaking of my hands made putting the gloves on a chore. Even after I managed all that I found that standing was a problem so I held on to the crossbar for support. Recovery lasted ages, mainly because I was hyperventilating, it wasn't until I calmed down and started breathing through my nose that I could breath. I noticed while in goals how shit my reaction time has become although hopefully this was just because I was seeing stars.
I had a couple more productive chances outfield but never more than 10 minutes. We ended up losing but they did have a really good keeper who made loads of amazing saves whereas I made no amazing saves and had a few blunders.
After the match I was shattered, my chest was tight and my lungs were raw causing me to persistantly cough. Even today I can barely keep me eyes open I'm so drained.

1 comment:

ghg said...

You need to get yourself over to www.crossfit.com. Follow the wods (but make them easier considering your current condition).