Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Groupwork - Introduction.

Arrived fashionably late for the first session, you can be no more than 15 minutes late, so like a school kid testing a new teacher I was 20 minutes late. I know, I really should have grown out of this behaviour but I like to test my boundaries ye see. It was no problem (because it was the first week) they even tried to excuse me: 'was it the buses?'
My response 'No, I was just testing how strict you were' was met with laughter, I think they thought I was joking.

The group was much bigger than I thought and there were a few faces that I recognised from community service which blew my plan to use a Graeme Dott (the snooker player) voice in the sessions. There were three group leaders Mark, Claire and Anna (her real name is Rona). The goals of todays meeting were breaking the ice and establishing the ground rules.

To break the ice we had to say our name and our hero/idol giving a reason why. The first hero mentioned was Kevin Spacey and it did get much better, the one guy who didn't say some shite actor (Jake LaMotta) fucked it up by saying 'You have to include De Nero because he played him.' I was last and at the last moment changed my answer from Alec Baldwin to Jebus. This raised a few eyebrows and I have to say I was tempted to play the God loving Christian, the reason I gave was that he was a dissenting criminal who inspired me. However, the game took a turn and now we had to mention someone we hated. This time I was first and I just had to say Jebus again, the reason being because he inspired the Christian religion. There were a few puzzled looks I can tell you.

After a wee tea break we split into two groups to brainstorm what we thought would make the group feel like a 'safe' place. I continued my Christian theme with 'Thou shalt not kill' being top of the list that I had been elected to write, after this some people identified me as a fellow believer, so I had to let them know that Santa doesn't really exist.

It was entertaining and amusing and this was just the introduction. Tomorrow is 'What's important to us' I'll report back with my findings...

No comments: